We update prices and hotel ratings every January to keep www.haadsalad.info accurate, and thus of practical use to our readers. There are two new bungalow resorts that have joined the r24.org booking engine. They are Double Duke Bungalow and Phangan Natural Resort. Double Duke Bungalow has rooms starting at 500 Thai Baht and Phangan Natural Resort has accommodation starting at 650 Thai Baht. We are currently researching these places and will soon add them to the main site.
The prices for accommodation in Koh Phangan tend to change every year. Many places raise their prices at the bottom end and, if things are slow, drop the cost of the best rooms and villas. Those places that don’t change prices are normally the most successful and have got their pricing just right.
Due to the on-going political problems in Bangkok and elsewhere in Thailand the pricing alterations have been further complicated. Fewer tourists are arriving in Thailand and lowering prices is the best way to keep up occupancy rates.
The good news is that Koh Phangan has its internal political scene but tends to adopt an isolationist attitude to what is happening on the mainland. In short, you don’t see clashes of red and yellow shirts on Koh Phangan.
As I have mentioned previously Trip Advisor is a very flawed rating system: resort owners write their own positive reviews and sometimes write damning reviews of their competition. Despite TA claiming they vet all reviews that is not the case. It still remains easy to write bogus reviews.
For those who give TA any credence, changes in ratings for Haad Salad resorts are as follows:
- Cookies Salad Resort – drop from 22nd to 27th best hotel in Koh Phangan
- Asia Bungalows – drop from 15th to 26th in speciality lodging in Koh Phangan
- Green Papaya Resort – up from 27th to 26th best hotel in Koh Phangan
- Haadlad Prestige Resort up from 59th to 54th best hotel in Koh Phangan
- Haad Salad Villa – drop from 3rd to 4th best speciality lodging in Suratthani
- Salad Beach Resort – remains the 35th best hotel in Koh Phangan
- Salad Buri Resort and Spa – drop from 46th to 51st best hotel in Koh Phangan
- Sea Salad Resort – up from 87th to 55th best speciality lodging in Koh Phangan
- Smile Beach Resort – remains 46th best B&B in Koh Phangan
So, most places have fallen in the Trip Advisor ratings. The most notable change is that Green Papaya Resort has replaced Cookies Salad Resort as the highest rated hotel on the beach. However, considering rooms are twice as expensive at Green Papaya as at Cookies this should not come as a surprise.
It is perhaps hoped that all the resorts with fallen ratings on Trip Advisor will perhaps try harder to provide efficient and friendly service. There are a few unpleasant reviews of avaricious owners cheating guests out of a few dollars by one means or another. They should be taken with a pinch of salt since we are only privy to one side of the argument, but it is worth noting what cons are being used in order to avoid them yourself.
Let’s not dwell on the doom and gloom. The weather has been excellent in January 2014. Haad Salad remains a place of timeless beauty, ideal as a place to unwind, rejuvenate and put the troubles of the world on hold.